First attempt with arla-0.6

LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 14:52:31 CEST 1998

I got a copy of arla-0.6 and tried to compile it on my Linux
box (a Debian system with the frozen (hamm) release.  The first
problem I had (which I also had with the December KTH version
of Kerberos) is that configure aborts when it tries to create the
file include/version.h; this is caused by the line in configure:

sed -e "s/@USER@/$User/" -e "s/@HOST@/$Host/" -e "s/@DATE@/$Date/" \
 include/version.h.in > include/version.h

because the variable Date is set to `date`, which on my system
produces, for example, 'Mon Jun  1 12:41:40 /etc/localtime 1998',
where the slashes cause the problem.  I cured this by editing
configure to have instead the line:

sed -e "s/@USER@/$User/" -e "s/@HOST@/$Host/" -e "s=@DATE@=$Date=" \
 include/version.h.in > include/version.h

After this, configure and install went more or less smoothly.
Although there are no installation instructions, I edited the
files in arla/etc CellServDB and ThisCell to contain my cell's
information and tried to run 'startarla'.  The result is that
the module xfs.o does not load:

./xfs.o: unresolved symbol inode_setattr
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol getname
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol register_symtab_from
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol current_set
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol kmalloc
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol unregister_chrdev
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol register_chrdev
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol verify_area
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol read_exec
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol sys_call_table
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol putname
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol open_namei
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol unregister_filesystem
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol iput
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol panic
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol __iget
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol register_filesystem
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol interruptible_sleep_on
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol kfree
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol wake_up
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol printk
./xfs.o: unresolved symbol generic_readpage

So of course, the arla file system cannot be mounted.  But the
commands pts and vos appear to work, giving information about the
local cell despite a number of silly error messages, and I can at
least run arlad in test mode, in which it sees the files and
directories in our cell without difficulty.  I'd gladly write
an instruction file if only I knew how to get the module to load!

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk