suggestions & a question

Peter J. Braam braam at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 23 17:09:29 CEST 1998

Hi!

Arla came up pretty easily on my machine. Congratulations.

1. My machine doesn't seem to have kafs and I get a linking problem for
fs. What can I do about that?  I do have vanilla MIT kerberos installed.

2. In your xfs/linux directory you should do a test for __SMP__ (defined
in /usr/src/linux/Makefile).  If this is not defined the module won't load
cleanly.  (The linux PCMCIA package has a wonderful config script for
building kernel modules and I adapted that for Coda in our linux-coda
module.)

When I have had more time with this we should see if we can't learn a
little more between each other from Coda and ARLA experiences.  In
particular, we could use one set of kernel code: you seem to have more PAG
support than we do and some other pretty neat things.

Coda kernel code is now also in use by a project in Australia building a
network filesystem so our "kernel/Venus" protocol is apparently useful.

How stable is ARLA on FreeBSD (I'd like to build a kernel in ARLA as a
measure of stability)?

Oh yeah, how do I get an AFS token?

- Peter -

Peter J. Braam - Coda Project            <braam at cs.cmu.edu>
Senior Systems Scientist                 http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu

Department of Computer Science           Phone: (412) 268 5295
Carnegie Mellon University               Fax:   (412) 268 5576
5000 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh PA 15213