12-28 snapshot on netbsd1.3H - much better luck this time

Ken Raeburn raeburn at raeburn.org
Tue Dec 29 17:47:12 CET 1998

Using the snapshot, and *not* pointing it to the CNS version of
Kerberos this time, I get:

../../arlad/arla.c:874: Undefined symbol `_krb_get_err_text' referenced from text segment

trying to link arlad.  Looks like the NetBSD version I've got (with
"domestic" components, including an old MIT krb4) doesn't provide it.

    % nm -o /usr/lib/libkrb.a | grep err_t
    /usr/lib/libkrb.a:krb_err_txt.o:00000be4 D _krb_err_txt
    %

When krb_get_err_text isn't defined, you can look up messages in this
table:

    char *krb_err_txt[256] = {

It may be safe to assume the above definition is in use, if the
function isn't found, because then you're probably using the old MIT
code.  (Unless an old distributed version of the kth code had neither
the function nor the array-of-pointers?)  Something like:

    #ifndef HAVE_KRB_GET_ERR_TEXT
    #define krb_get_err_text(N) (((N) >= 0 && (N) < 256) ? krb_err_txt[N] : "bad error code")
    #endif

should do, with appropriate autoconf tests.  At least in NetBSD, the
header file krb.h has the declaration for the array already.

When I switch back to CNS (plus NetBSD's libkafs), everything builds.

The kernel module loads without complaint (just some status messages
and "xfs_channel" info), and the rest of the startup seems to go okay,
though just after arlad has started, I got this behavior:

    % cd /afs/athena/user/
    /afs/athena/user/: Not a directory.
    [short pause]
    % cd /afs/athena
    % cd user
    %

Is a delay needed after arlad forks off before accessing /afs?

Even after I get into AFS and can start listing directories and
reading files, I'm having problems with fs:

    # /usr/arla/bin/fs help
    Error detecting AFS
    #

Apparently the NetBSD libkafs k_hasafs() simply doesn't think I have
AFS.  It wasn't compiled to know about any AFS syscalls.  I suppose
I'll fetch the CMU version, or kth-krb.  (A third version of krb4 for
my system?! *sigh*)

Aside from these problems, unauthenticated AFS client access seems to
be working just fine.  So I guess the free authentication software is
next to download....

Excellent work!

Ken