arla 0.20: getcwd & XFS panics

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Sat Dec 26 01:33:24 CET 1998

In message <5l1zlnzrpk.fsf at assaris.sics.se>, assar at stacken.kth.se writes:
+-----
| What happens if /etc/ld.so.preload references a non-existant file?
| Does it handle that?  Otherwise, my suggestion was:
+--->8

Whoops, it doesn't like it much; I was hoping for a warning but it produced
an abort instead.  Your suggestion below should work nicely, though.

| 1. mv /etc/ld.so.preload /etc/ld.so.preload.foo
| 2. mv /lib/getcwd.so /lib/getcwd.so.old
| 3. cp getcwd.so /lib/getcwd.so
| 4. mv /etc/ld.so.preload.foo /etc/ld.so.preload

The only real problem with this is if it's done twice without an intervening
reboot then things will fall over as happened to Max; that's why I stressed
that while a reboot isn't essential, it's a good idea.  But if for some
reason it's not possible to reboot immediately, one can run indefinitely as
long as they don't try to replace getcwd.so again (or they can rename it to
something else in step 2, so /lib/getcwd.so.old is still untouched).

brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery at ece.cmu.edu
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering			 KF8NH