arla 0.20: getcwd & XFS panics

Max maxk at chinook.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 25 03:44:33 CET 1998

Greetings!

I just compiled Arla 0.20 and noticed some major problems.  The first
mistake was copying getcwd.so to /lib.  I did this with all the other
versions with no major problems.  My /etc/ld.so.preload has been
modified appropriately.  As soon as I overwrote the old getcwd.so, the
system started responding to EVERY command with "Segmentation fault".
There was absolutely nothing I could do except press the reset
button. :(  Fortunately, the system rebooted OK and I was even able to
log in and remove getcwd.so from ld.so.preload.  Until I did that, I
couldn't start X (it complained about a missing __getcwd symbol).
So, whatever changed with getcwd managed to break it in a major way.
Incidentally, I used to be able to get pwd to work in AFS cells even
without it.  Now, it doesn't.

On another note, the following produces a kernel panic message.

1.  Go to an AFS cell.
2.  Type "ls"
3.  Before it has a chance to execute, hit Ctrl-c.
4.  I see a message that says:

Message from syslogd at chinook at Thu Dec 24 16:30:49 1998 ...
chinook kernel: XFS Panic: xfs_message_installnode: dentry existed in cache && requested == 0

What is going on?  Could this be related to the -z flag?  Or is it
something else?

FYI, I'm using Debian Linux 2.2 beta (potato).

E-mail responses please.

Max