Linux/SMP/arla followup

Dave Morrison dave at bnl.gov
Fri Aug 21 23:37:18 CEST 1998

Dear arla-drinkers,

I think I've finally narrowed things down to a setup that will reproducibly hang
a Linux SMP box running arla.  I'm running Linux-2.1.117, arla 0.9 on a dual
Dell PII.  I am also running as an NFS client.  If I tar a directory tree from
AFS to the NFS mounted disk and interrupt it, the machine hangs and has to be
rebooted.  This same procedure seems to work without problems on a UP machine.

The last entries in the xfs log look like:

xfs_message_rpc opcode this_process->error_or_size = -4
xfs_message_rpc opcode ((xfs_message_wakeup*)(this_process->message))->error =
1349

I repeated the experiment after installing the lastest Alan Cox NFS-related
patches I'm aware of, but the behavior remained the same.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Dave

--
David Morrison  Brookhaven National Laboratory  phone: 516-344-5840
                Physics Department, Bldg 510 C    fax: 516-344-3253
		          Upton, NY 11973-5000  email: dave at bnl.gov