arla, an AFS implementation

Bjoern Groenvall bg at sics.se
Fri Aug 21 10:17:32 CEST 1998

Magnus Ahltorp <map at stacken.kth.se> writes:

> > Speaking of cwd problems, I have a report from someone who wishes not to
> > step forward...:
> > Fresh boot of arla, 2.1.115:
> > foo# mystat /afs
> >   File: "/afs"
> >   Size: 8192         Filetype: Directory
> >   Mode: (0777/drwxrwxrwx)         Uid: (    0/    root)  Gid: (    0/ wheel)
> > Device:  0,2   Inode: -86972672 Links: 2
> > ok so far.
> > foo# ls /afs
> > [...]
> > foo# mystat /afs
> >   File: "/afs"
> >   Size: 8192         Filetype: Directory
> >   Mode: (0777/drwxrwxrwx)         Uid: (    0/    root)  Gid: (    0/ wheel)
> > Device:  8,1   Inode: -86972672 Links: 2
> >
> > Notice what happens to device....
>
> This is perfectly normal. I do a lot of magic with the inodes' device
> numbers. I set the device numbers of the inode to the device numbers
> of the cached inode to be able to do bmap directly.

According to POSIX, a programmer is allowed to assume that if stat
returns device and/or inode numbers that are different then one may
assume that they originate from different files. If device and inode
numbers are changing this will confuse code seriously, the program
will be fooled to deduce that the file must have been replaced under
its feet.

--
Bjorn Gronvall (Björn Grönvall)                        /_______________/|