arla, an AFS implementation

Aaron M. Ucko amu at mit.edu
Fri Aug 21 01:27:39 CEST 1998

[arla-drinkers added to Cc: list because of Jim's bug reports.]

Jim Nance <jlnance at avanticorp.com> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 11:44:22AM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
>
> > Arla is a free AFS client implementation. Look at :
>
> > Can someone post more info on it ?
> > Like how does it perform under Linux ( compared to NFS ) ?

I haven't benchmarked the Arla client, but it uses a (configurable)
disk-based cache like Transarc's client, which outperforms NFS for
many tasks IIRC.

> > As I understand , there is no server yet :-(

Right, the developers decided to focus on the client first.

> I have been using it here for a few weeks.  I have been extreamly
> pleased with it.  I am using it on both a Sparc and intel machine,
> both running 2.1.11X kernels.  The stability seems pretty good.  I have
> had a few problems on the intel machine, but its hard to tell if they are
> due to arla or the result of other problems in the development kernels
> (for example I am also having problems with the automounter).  On the Sparc
> I have been running an arla snapshot for several weeks and its been rock
> solid.

I played with Arla some on a PC running Linux 2.0.3x...as of 0.9, I
think the only actual bugs I saw in the kernel code were 2.0-specific.
(Magnus developed the Linux port on a Sparc running 2.1, which may
explain the stability you saw. :-))

>     1)  If you are running a glibc based Sparc, all SUID/SGID applications
>         will die if anything is in the file /etc/ld.so.preload.  This has

That's ... special...this is even true for the latest released version?

> 	nothing to do with arla, exectp that arla comes with a getcwd.o
> 	library that they suggest you put in /etc/ld.so.preload.  Dont do it
> 	on the Sparc.
>     2)  You will have to set install kerberos before you can build/use
>         arla.  This is export controlled.

The README that comes with Arla points you to a Swedish FTP server
containing a Kerberos implementation Arla works with.

>     3)  I have had some problems with make -j not working correctly in
>         arla directories.

Could you be more specific?

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu at mit.edu> (finger amu at monk.mit.edu)