patch to fix symlink-related GPFs on Linux

Aaron M. Ucko amu at mit.edu
Sat Aug 1 22:46:30 CEST 1998

Magnus Ahltorp writes:

> This is probably caused by my inode->i_dev magic. Every xfs inode has
> it's i_dev field set to the device of the cache file system. This
> confuses the 2.0 VFS, but I don't know what to do about it. One option
> is to skip the i_dev magic, and skip bmap for 2.0, and implement
> readpage instead, but I like the simplicity of the bmap solution, so
> I'd like to see another solution.

For the record, the readpage solution as implemented in 0.9 seems to
work pretty well on my system.  There are still some glitches,
though.  In particular:

I can't unmount /afs either before or after killing arlad.

Programs sometimes have trouble finding their current directories if
they aren't world-listable.

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu at mit.edu> (finger amu at monk.mit.edu)